Being healthy is vital to living your life to the fullest.
Covering certain essentials that your provincial health care plan may not, such as prescription drugs, antibiotics or medical travel expenses, these expenses can become extremely expensive if you don’t have proper health care coverage. To help ensure you get the coverage that meets your specific needs, extended health benefits offer great options.
Paramedical Practitioner Services
Coverage in this category can be customized but often offers an annual maximum per provider. Typical services include:
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Podiatrists and chiropodists
- Licensed Speech therapy
- Licensed clinical psychologists
- Clinical Dieticians
An Extended Health Care package can include a combination of the following features:
- Hospital care: semi-private hospital room in the plan member’s province.
- Prescription drugs: medication prescribed by a doctor.
- Medical services and equipment: private duty nursing, ambulances, crutches, hearing aids, etc.
- Paramedical services: chiropractors, naturopaths, podiatrists, etc.
- Medi-Passport: out-of-province emergency travel assistance.
- Vision care: eyeglasses and contact lenses.
Medical Services and Supplies
A comprehensive list of medical equipment and supplies are covered under this component of your extended healthcare benefits. Some examples include:
- Semi-private hospital room
- Private duty nursing care
- Emergency ground or air ambulance
- Hearing aids
- Diabetic supplies
- Braces, prosthetics and wheelchairs
- Orthotics and orthopaedic shoes
Out of Country Emergency Assistance (Travel Insurance)
Coverage for medical emergencies while traveling is included on most plans. Some eligible expenses include:
- Hospital supplies
- Physician care charges
- Prescription drugs
Extended Healthcare is the most commonly selected plan feature. You have the ability to customize a number of components through benefit selection, or the use of deductibles, annual maximums and coinsurance levels. Customization will allow you to design a plan that best suits your needs and your budget.